2Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Considering a Gunner.

Hi all,

I need to put my hands up and say that although I've been riding for years and visited many showrooms, I've never paid much attention to Victory bikes, so I know little about them.

However, recently threw a leg over a Gunner in a showroom and was absolutely AMAZED at the low weight/center of gravity, so much so that I'm now thinking of trading in my 2014 Triumph T'bird Storm for a new Gunner, but there is no demo bike available and I have a couple of concerns.

First... base price seems very good, but some things which are essential bumps the price up, pillion seat/pegs, exhaust system, not much else I would really want as I'm not a great 'modder'. Is this where Victory make up for low base prices also would it be normal for a dealer to negotiate on new bike and accessories?. Are services and service parts also expensive?

The other concern is from reading various reviews which seem to suggest the Gunners' gearchange is harsh/clunky, anyone know what this is all about and is it a problem?. This is what is holding me back most as I'm not really keen on clunky cog swapping or general mechanical noise.

Thanks for any info.
Joe
PS any other general thoughts on buying/owning a Gunner.

Last edited by Joe; 06-12-2015 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Added PS
post #2 of 13 Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've had my Gunner for about two months and really love it. I'll summarize some pro's and con's. Note this is only my opinion and a lot of this is in comparison to previous bikes.

Pros: Style, absolutely fabulous. The suede titanium finish looks great. Low seat height. Good ride position. Easy to drive. Very peppy. Raised white lettering tires look cool. Thick front tire is nice. Moderate amount of genuine Victory accessories. Nice rumble with the stock exhaust, not to loud but nice. Self cancelling turn signals. Upgraded speedometer feature is really nice, temperature, fuel mileage, voltage, extra trip odometer.

Cons: Suede titanium finish requires extra care. No fuel gauge, Transmission is klunky, you know when you shift gears. Limited aftermarket accessories due to the newness. Burns a little fuel, about 5.7 l/100km at 115km/hr. No locking of the handlebars in the turned position for security sake. No engine stop when the kick stand is put into the down position.

This should stir up some conversation.
Joe likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-13-2015, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Thanks Tiger, interesting and nice pro/con format.

Is there anyway to elaborate on the transmission clunk?, I think this is my biggest concern as these things tend to become tiring both around town and long trips, is it a clunk sound when changing up/down or a an actual jerk of the bike, or both?... any known remedies such as clutch adjustments or something?

My current T'bird has a matte finish and I usually just soap and water clean, is there anything extra with looking after the Gunner finish?. When you say no h'bar looking are you saying there is no key lock and or padlock facility on the steering... nothing at all!?... I didn't look for this on the showroom bike.

I also read in the reviews that the rear brake can be a little harsh and lock the wheel easily, do you find this or is your bike fitted with ABS?

Have you fitted a pillion seat and pegs... expensive?

Really wish my local dealer had a demo bike, but he tells me the Gunner is in short supply from the factory.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-13-2015, 12:04 PM

The transmission itself doesn't seem to clunk. It appears to be the linkage. Shifting is smooth except the noise. There are several reviews and comparisons that I read where this is noted. Note sure what else I could say, you may want to read some reviews.

Funny you mention the T'bird as that was the other bike I was looking at before I bought the Gunner. Victory has a section on how to care for the suede finish in the manual. They also sell a suede protectant that your suppose to apply after washing. Watermarks from rain should be wiped of immediately, same for droppings, gas, .... I guess you have to be a little more detailed.

On my previous bike (Suzuki) when I turned the key off, I could turn the front wheel to the left (like always) and turn the key an additional indent and it would lock the front turned left. Hence if some tried to steal the bike by pushing it away it would only go in a circle. Not sure on the exact name of this feature.

I locked the rear brake up on one of my first drives. You just got to get used to it. No problems now. Can't get ABS in Canada, I should of added this as a con.

I posted some photos on my introductory post. Note sure how to link to it. Both with and without the rear accessories. I put all genuine Victory accessories and yes they're expensive.
Joe likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-14-2015, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Many thanks Tiger, thats a a lot of good info to think about.

Can't really get my head around transmission/shift noise, will do as you say and try to find some more reviews.

Many bikes I've owned have either a seperate key or padlock facility (both on the Triumph) on the headstock which locks the steering, this seems like a bit of an omission on the gunner. I suppose you can use a disklock or chain, but it seems like additional gear to carry with you.

My T'bird is a good bike really... the 1700cc motor pulls like a train and it handles pretty well and has many of the options as standard which are missing on a stock Gunner. The big downside is the Spanish dealers (my local at least) who are clueless and don't give a care about customer service and also messed up with some of the servicing on the bike. I'm now just looking for a reliable 'ride and go' bike without any agro and the Gunner seems to fit the bill even if it is somewhat of a trade down and loss as far as prices go.

Do you know if Victory dealers negotiate on new bike prices and accessories bought with one or is it fixed ticket prices?. Initial enquiries indicate I'm likely to loose around 8,000eu on trading the T'bird and that stings a lot.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-16-2015, 06:35 AM

Not sure on negotiating the prices, especially with the Gunner being in limited supply and high demand. My dealer gave me 15% of accessories, this seems fairly common practice.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-16-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Joe

My local dealer has offerred to throw in passenger seat and pegs at no cost, which is similar in value to what most HD dealers do on acc's.

I'm really tempted to just go and do the trade on the new Gunner he has on the showroom floor, but I'm still not sure about the transmission. I've now checked out a lot of on-line reviews and still can't get my head around it... many of the review videos seem to be on the same demo bike with different press writers and most mention the transmission being clunky/notchy, one video seems to say that the particular bike had a defective gearbox, a couple of other reviews say the change is really smooth, so I'm baffled. I called a UK dealer who told me all Victorys' clunk when going into first gear only, apparently due to the direct primary drive (gear instead of chain). Just wish I could find a demo bike to try out.

BTW anyone know what the plastic cover is just under the left side swinging arm, I haven't seen it on any of the review vids/pics. I asked the saleman and he didn't seem to know. Hope the image file attaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunner.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	442  

Last edited by Joe; 06-16-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 PM

My bike (Canada) does have this plastic cover. Perhaps it has something to do with the ABS that's available in Europe. Perhaps something to do with emissions requirements in certain areas of the world. Those are two guesses.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
My bike (Canada) does have this plastic cover.
Tiger, I thought that when I checked out your posted images I didn't see that cover, did you remove it and find nothing underneath for your Canada model? Looks kind of ugly on the showroom bike and seems it would affect lean angle.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 AM

Sorry I stand corrected. I guess I should read what I type before I push send. My bike never had the plastic cover.

The Victory seat is list price is about $210 cdn and the Passenger pegs are $390 cdn. About $600 savings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Gunner Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page