Close to Buying a Gunner, but... - Victory Gunner Forum
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Close to Buying a Gunner, but...

I've read and watched many reviews of the Gunner. So far pretty much everything I've read/seen is positive. And while no motorcycle is perfect, it seems many owners can find few faults. But I do have a few questions/concerns I was hoping some owners would be able to help me with.

1. Since I was a kid, I've only owned Honda motorcycles. The main reason: reliability! My biggest concern is how reliable is the Victory brand, and, more specifically, the Gunner? My concern was magnified when I read there are already two recalls on the Gunner: one for a transmission problem and one for an engine problem. Those of you who have owned a Gunner (or Victory bike) for a decent amount of time, have you had any issues, even small ones like squeaks, rattles, poor materials, shoddy workmanship, etc.?

2. Except for my dirt bike days, I've always had bikes with shaft drives. I like how smooth, quiet, and basically maintenance-free they are. The Gunner is belt drive. From what I've read belt drives are just as quiet and smooth as shaft drives, but how much maintenance is required on the Gunner's belt drive? How many miles before it needs replacing? How much is it to replace (materials and labor)?

3. The matt finish is super cool on the Gunner! But I was reading on one thread that it requires special cleaning supplies. Putting aside the special cleaning supples, is the matt finish more prone to showing wear (scratches, scuffs, bug damage) than a standard glossing paint finish. Has the matt finish presented problems/issues that you didn't expect?

4. I applaud Victories policy of offering a $1,000 rebate to past/present members of the armed, police and fire services. And I realize the Gunner, even at retail, is priced well. BUT, like you, I want to save money wherever and whenever I can. While I do not qualify for the $1000 rebate, are there other ways Victory has made it available to others? Are there any dealers who are discounting the price of the bike?

Thanks so much for any thoughts and comments you can offer. Like I said, I am so close to joing the ranks of Gunner owners. I just want to know as much about the bike as possible before dropping over $13,000.
floyd is offline  
post #2 of 10 Old 12-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northwest Ohio, USA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Floyd, you don't mention where you are located, but a dealer in Ft Wayne, Indiana, quoted me a price of $12,226, total out the door for the new Gunner he has on the showroom floor,
I'm finding it difficult to walk away from that.

Rob S
Rob S is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Floyd, you don't mention where you are located, but a dealer in Ft Wayne, Indiana, quoted me a price of $12,226, total out the door for the new Gunner he has on the showroom floor,
I'm finding it difficult to walk away from that.

Rob S
Rob, that is a great deal. I live in Minnesota, which is quite a distance from Ft. Wayne, but for that price it might be worth the drive... even in the frigid weather! You must be past/present soldier, police officer, or firefighter and be getting the $1K rebate. Buy one for me too! I'll send you a check!

Take care,
Floyd
floyd is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
a dealer in Ft Wayne, Indiana, quoted me a price of $12,226, total out the door for the new Gunner he has on the showroom floor,
I'm finding it difficult to walk away from that.

Rob S
Fort Wayne is just over six hours away from me. I may take the Gunner for a cold, cold test drive at my local MN dealership then buy it (provided I can get the same price) at your dealership. Only problem is I have to come up with extra cash because I won't be able to trade my bike in.
floyd is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Fort Wayne is just over six hours away from me. I may take the Gunner for a cold, cold test drive at my local MN dealership then buy it (provided I can get the same price) at your dealership. Only problem is I have to come up with extra cash because I won't be able to trade my bike in.
welcome, why can't you trade yours in, sentiment or something else?
Gigolo Aunt is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Aunt View Post
welcome, why can't you trade yours in, sentiment or something else?
I guess I could if the dealership gave me a reasonalbe trade-in value. I just would want to avoid shipping/driving it to Ft. Wayne, Indiana.
floyd is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northwest Ohio, USA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Floyd,
I'd have to think that the distance would eat up any savings on the price, but I'm sure that the dealer would love to sell that bike to you, lol.
Would your dealer let you take out a bike on a test ride this time of year? Even overlooking the danger of ice on the road, the salt that gets spread around here would certainly munch on the aluminum of any motorcycle.

RobS
Rob S is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Floyd,
I'd have to think that the distance would eat up any savings on the price, but I'm sure that the dealer would love to sell that bike to you, lol.
Would your dealer let you take out a bike on a test ride this time of year? Even overlooking the danger of ice on the road, the salt that gets spread around here would certainly munch on the aluminum of any motorcycle.

RobS
Good point about the travel costs and good question about the test drive. I did sit on the bike and it felt wonderful. I'm 6' even with a 34" inseam. The bike I have now is a bit cramped. But the Gunner was perfect. I might make a deal, do all the paperwork, but have a clause that everything is dependent on a successful test drive.

Biggest hurdle right now is the wife.
floyd is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Good point about the travel costs and good question about the test drive. I did sit on the bike and it felt wonderful. I'm 6' even with a 34" inseam. The bike I have now is a bit cramped. But the Gunner was perfect. I might make a deal, do all the paperwork, but have a clause that everything is dependent on a successful test drive.

Biggest hurdle right now is the wife.
Any update at this point, although it's been just under a week?
Victor is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-10-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Any update at this point, although it's been just under a week?
Haven't bought it yet. Still fighting for every penny I can in savings!

The Gunner I'm looking at getting was built in March of 2014 but is listed on the dealer's website as a 2015. It's my understanding there are Gunners that are 2014 models, right? Why wouldn't the one I'm looking at be considered a 2014?
floyd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Gunner Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off