Gunner vs Softail Slim - Victory Gunner Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 19 Old 05-14-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Gunner vs Softail Slim

MotoUSA just published their comparo of the Gunner to the Softail Slim a bike many argued the Gunner "copied"

Quote:
The 2015 Victory Gunner and 2014 Harley-Davidson Softail Slim mirror each other in many ways. Both boulevard brawlers sport meaty Dunlop tires wrapped around 16-inch wheels, their front ends set at rakes in the 32-degree range, spreads of 64.4-inches (Slim) and 64.8-inches (Gunner) between wheels. Forward controls and pullback bars equate to comparable upright riding positions, both bikes sporting low-slung seats. Each is powered by a torque-rich V-Twin, Harley’s 1690cc Twin Cam 103B air-cooled while Victory’s 1731cc Freedom 106 utilizes air- and oil-cooling. Both source a single disc/four-caliper arrangement for braking duties on the front. One comes from the old guard out of Milwaukee, the long-time standard-setter in the heavyweight division, and its styling cues reflect that heritage. The other comes from the upstarts out of Minnesota, a company that has strived to delineate itself from its American V-Twin competitor with wrinkles on traditional styling. With their solo seats and ruggedly handsome curbside appeal, the two bikes fight for the same bone in a concentrated buying demographic.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/184...tail-Slim.aspx
post #2 of 19 Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have my eyes on the Softail Slim since it came out and now that I'm ready to get a new bike, the Gunner came out... and that comparison reinforces my decision in getting the Gunner instead
Gigolo Aunt likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-14-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
The Gunner seems to come out on top in both of these graphs. Is there any benefit to having lower torque are hp at a certain horsepower? Just seems like it would be more boring to ride, and I am looking for something fun!

Victory seems to beat out the Harley by both of these measures as well.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
wow victory really handed the pounding to HD
post #5 of 19 Old 05-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
They really do run away with it. The sad thing is that Harley doesn't have to actually build a better machine than Victory since their brand reputation will send them sales regardless. I don't think that Victory has quite the brand following that Harley does.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-15-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
The Gunner seems to come out on top in both of these graphs. Is there any benefit to having lower torque are hp at a certain horsepower? Just seems like it would be more boring to ride, and I am looking for something fun!

Victory seems to beat out the Harley by both of these measures as well.
depends how you ride and what you want to do. Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Both are great for tooling along enjoying the sunshine and remebering the reason you even ride in the first place...

its not what you ride, but how you do it..
post #7 of 19 Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
They really do run away with it. The sad thing is that Harley doesn't have to actually build a better machine than Victory since their brand reputation will send them sales regardless. I don't think that Victory has quite the brand following that Harley does.
no doubt

and that is exactly why the victory had to be better spec wise to convince a potential harley buyer to NOT buy the more popular harley.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

well the thing about harley guys is NONE of them are buying for performance, so trying to convince them on a power/torque basis is relatively futile. Bikes like this are sold for the image and the culture. Victory has its own little tranche of the segment, but it feels like me too, no real identity of their own...
post #9 of 19 Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Very true, im sure though there are a portion of people buying for the performance and other technical things, but as many know it's largely for the lifesyle
post #10 of 19 Old 05-22-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

of course, I didnt mean to throw a blanket over all harley riders, I know a few who have forgotten more than i will ever know about bikes

Interesting though, the one and only big con for the Gunner seems to be no ABS. Needed? I dunno, I learned to trail and dont see it as a big time bummer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Gunner Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page